Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Shoe day!

So I spent my entire paycheck on shoes today.

My favorite department store (Halls) was having a 60 percent off sale.

I went there with the intention of getting just one pair, like I normally do. I wanted to get some serious work shoes (which I did). After all, I already have a closet full of fun, colorful, and sparkly Jimmy Choo and Kate Spade sandals. Not exactly office attire.

I got there 30 minutes before the store opened and stood with the rest of the female crowd, waiting for the maintenance man to open the doors.

As soon as his key touched the door, we all ran inside. I sprinted to the escalator and dashed to the shoe department. I felt like I was at the Olympics.

As soon as I got there, my favorite salesman's eyes lit up. (Dan has been assisting my shoe addiction for the past two years). I was relieved he saw me first because he's the only salesman there I trust. He tells me the truth and doesn't bullshit his way into a sale. If something doesn't look right, he says it.

I skimmed the sales rack and choose 15 pairs for him to retrieve in my size. Notable ones among them: gray Prada heels, brown Blahnik heels, leopard Blahnik heels, sparkling gold Diane Von Furstenburg flats, black and gold Kate Spade sandals, zebra Kate Spade sandals, and orange Tory Burch flip flops.

The Prada and Blahnik ones were too big (they didn't have a smaller size), the gold flats were TOO flat, the Spades had sharp spikes which hurt my feet, and the flip flops made me slide across the floor. I found faults with a few others as well.

After an hour of hemming and hawing and strutting across the store, I finally narrowed my search down to three remaining pairs: lipstick red Jimmy Choo heels, silky, sleek wine-colored Zanotti heels, and a pair of black and white Ralph Lauren sandals I'd been ogling for months (even contemplated purchasing before the sale).

All pairs looked so amazing on my feet. The red heels popped with my black dress, the wine colored heels shimmered with every turn, and the white straps on the black Ralph Laurens also looked striking against my tan skin. I had a crowd of customers surrounding me with compliment after compliment. I was in the zone. I bought all three.

My entire paycheck. I literally have no money until two weeks from now.

I tried to justify it. I mean, I'm going to have these shoes for the rest of my life. The heels I bought are so simple and classic. They will never got out of style in my book. And they are SUCH good quality. Plus, while weight goes up and down, feet sizes don't change for adults. These shoes will always fit.

And Rian is paying the rent this month.

Ha.

8 comments:

Sophia said...

Congratulations! As long as you're not like me (I beat up my shoes ruthlessly, unfortunately) shoes are a good investment, especially high-quality ones on sale :)

I definitely agree about Adam! Kris is okay and all, but Adam's in a league of his own, and I LOVE HIM :P

Couture Carrie said...

Woo hoo for shoes!

xoxox,
CC

starbrained said...

AHHHHHH!! Oh my gosh this is going to be me when I'm working! I have the same problem except it's not my money that's being spent. I love when there are sales like that.
Oh and the part about Dan reminded me of this one episode of Sex In The City. Hahahaha

starbrained said...

P.S.
Post pictures!!

yiqin; said...

Awesome post!! Shoes lasts FOREVER! We all know it!

NICOLE said...

Ahhhh, sounds like I wasn't the only one splurging this week ;) I can't wait to see pics of your new lovelies!!! Sometimes you just have to make concessions in the name of fashion and I agree with Sophia, a high-quality shoe is a good investment, especially a pair as versatile and timeless as Red Jimmy Choo pumps :) Enjoy & wear in good health. xoxo, Nicole

Elizabeth Victoria Clark said...

sometimes you absolutely just need to blow a ton of money - after all, you earned it, you deserve to treat yourself. post some pics! xox

Katy said...

sounds amazing...please post pictures of the shoes!!

check out my blog please,
chicweekny.blogspot.com