Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Friday, February 15, 2013

Book Review: Fifth Avenue, 5 A.M.

I swear half of my book list comes from Erika, the fashion and beauty genius behind Cafe Fashionista. She always has the most fabulous suggestions.

A while ago, when I realized she was reading Fifth Avenue, 5 A.M.: Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and the Dawn of the Modern Woman I figured I needed to pick up a copy from the library immediately.

So, I did.

And, as I expected, it's awesome.


The book, written by Sam Wasson, gives a very detailed behind-the-scenes look at the film Breakfast at Tiffany's.

If you love the movie, you seriously need to read this book.


The making of the film is incredibly fascinating and complex. The influence it had really changed the world. Before Holly Golightly and her little black dress, women wouldn't have dreamed of living in a tiny apartment in the big city, on their own, struggling to get by, and being fabulous every step of the way. It truly foreshadowed the independent woman as we know her today.


Plus, the movie created shock waves throughout the film industry. It completely changed Audrey Hepburn's career and created an entirely new genre for young audiences.


As a devout fashionista, I own the Audrey Hepburn box set, so I was able to watch Breakfast at Tiffany's while reading the book. It was fun to jump to certain scenes of the movie after reading all the juicy tidbits about what actually happened during each take.


Of course, I own the novella Breakfast at Tiffany's as well, so it was fascinating to flip through those pages during the chapters about Truman Capote.


Fifth Avenue, 5 A.M. is entertaining and easy-to-read. It'll introduce you to fashion icons you never knew existed, and twist the opinions you had about familiar names.




It's fascinating and delightful and glamorous. Just like Holly Golightly, herself.


Have you seen the film Breakfast at Tiffany's? Or read the novella it is based on?

23 comments:

French Girl in Seattle said...

I saw the movie - many times - have not read the novella it is based on, and thanks to you, am now dying to get my hands on "Fifth Avenue, 5 A.M." -- Off to the airport tomorrow for a short trip and will be looking for it. Thanks for the review, Holly... I mean, Jenny! :-) Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

sherene said...

there is this restaurant near our place full of Audrey Hepburns pictures, breakfast at tiffany's theme.
so cool and classic, might go there someday and show u the pictures:)

Couture Carrie said...

Fab review!
Love the novella and the movies, so must check out this book!

xoxox,
CC

JustMe said...

She's just so cute.

SO CUTE.

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Loved this movie, so I am sure to love this book. I saw the cover sometime ago, but never got the chance to read it, but I will have to do so soon. Fab review doll :) xox

Unknown said...

This book is on my to-read list, right after I finish the Night Circus (thank you so much for recommending it, I don't remember the last time I've enjoyed a book this much). Breakfast at Tiffany's is one of my favourite movies, I've seen it oh so many times and I've also read the original book but I wasn't really into it, don't know why, maybe I was just too much into Audrey and movie already so the book couldn't get to me.

FASHION TALES said...

Erika does always have quite a good list. This is such a great one, I loved the film, and now this is added to my list. Thanks for the review! Happy weekend, lovely. xo/Madison

Sherin said...

You know how I know we're international twins: it's because I'm reading this book RIGHT NOW. It's in my bag. I'm half way through and am loving it so far.

Emma Waldorf said...

Reading this entry and knowing my taste, I'm pretty sure I will like this book. http://imacrazydreamer.blogspot.com.es/

Alex Byer said...

I'm beyond obsessed with this book. I got it the DAY it came out and have read it three times since :)

Josie said...

This sounds soooo good! I'm putting it on my list.
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Cafe Fashionista said...

Weekend. Made. Seriously, you are the sweetest, most awesome person on the planet for that shoutout, Jennifer. I have no words...

I am so happy that you enjoyed the book. I've read the novella {about 10,000 times} myself, but have never seen the film. One of these days... :D

livlovelaugh said...

i want to read it nowwwwww

-liv
http://chocolivlovelaugh.blogspot.kr/

Julie @ ROJ Running said...

Wanna know something sad? I have never seen this movie. On a positive note, whenever I see something B@T I think of you.

Unknown said...

I bought this book on my last trip to London and I agree with you it is really easy and entertaining to read, and of course I have also read the original one from Truman Capote and although Is a masterpiece I prefer the changes they made for the movie, specially the end...
xxx

Oh to Be a Muse said...

This sounds like the book every Audrey Hepburn fan needs to read ASAP!

Btw, kudos on you fasting until 11pm. I wouldn't be able to last past noon.

www.ohtobeamuse.com

MakiMaki Vintage said...

I MUST HAVE THIS BOOK! (and maybe one day a couch that is half of a bathtub to sit in while reading it!)
xo Noelle
MakiMaki Vintage

Jillian said...

I love the movie and I love the novella (even though they are both quite different). I've already bookmarked 5 A.M. Thanks for the recommendation! I'm always looking for the next good book to read.

Meri said...

I read this book too, and wasn't sure what it was going to be like but I found myself tearing through it because the history portion/ biography element was just so interesting to me! Reading your blog about it all of a sudden I was struck that I had forgotten about the pink dress she wears in the film and how freaking FABULOUS it is... pinning that one now :)

Amber Lucas A Mused Blog said...

I've seen the movie too many times to count, but I also always notice something different. The movie is scandalous!! I mean, Holly is...a call girl of sorts in the movie, and her boy toy is the same - he's got a total sugar-momma on hand! I love her.

Can't wait to read both books!

Jenn said...

this sounds really interesting. I haven;t seen the movie nor read the book (I know, I am such a loser) but I will soon! :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Now I am deeply intrigued. :)

Jenn
The Pink Lemonade Girl

motorcyclesspecs said...

Here in this article, I am going to share with you the 2022 Yamaha YZ65 Motorcycle Complete guide.
Yamaha YZ65 Specs

adequit cégek said...

Great post, interesting points raised. Thanks for sharing.