Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Tale of Rabbit Island


Once upon a time, there was a dark and dreary island in Japan where bad things happened.

Poisonous gas was secretly being manufactured for the military.

More than 6,000 tons of lethal gas was developed at the site, from 1929 to 1945.

The mission was so top-secret, the island was omitted from maps and workers were sworn to secrecy.

It was an extremely dangerous place to work, with many of the laborers becoming ill from breathing in the fumes, or becoming grotesquely disfigured in chemical accidents.

When the factory shut down, the island remained a ghost town.



But in 1971, that all changed.

Japanese school children visited the island during a field trip and released eight bunnies.

Today, there are more than 300.

The island has become one of the most fascinating tourist attractions in the world.

It is named Rabbit Island.


The floppy-eared fluffballs have the entire island to themselves, free from predators. Although they are technically considered wild rabbits, they are accustomed to humans and will approach delighted visitors, eager for a tasty treat. Their favorite food is carrots and cabbage, but they won't turn down rabbit feed, which can be purchased on the island.


They are also known to hop right into visitors' laps.


They love people.


It is a grassy, blue-sky paradise.


The island now has a golf course and camping ground. Visitors are allowed to swim in the crystal clear water surrounding the island. People are not allowed to litter on the island or steal the bunnies.



The ruins of the old gas factory still stand, projecting a haunting shadow amongst the child-like innocence enveloping the island.



It is quite simply, a hell turned into a heaven


Would you like to visit Rabbit Island?

26 comments:

Melanie said...

Someone needs to make a movie about this ASAP! I never heard of rabbit island but omg I want to go!! It must be a mini paradise!! I now have a desire to read Watership Down...=)

Seriously Jennifer you find out the coolest things!! =)

Ergo-Blog

French Girl in Seattle said...

Are you kidding me?! Rabbit Island?! How did you even find out about that place? I can't imagine anyone not wanting to visit... I would not mind it at all... Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

ravenlocks said...

Are you fucking KIDDING me?

Um...hello heaven! I used to have bunnies. Three were wild jack rabbits...illegal, yes. Adorable, yes. Would tear the shit out of cabinets and clothing...yes.

I would like to go to this Rabbit Island. I could picture myself walking around and smiling constantly, from ear to ear (HAHA...get it?). And then I'd take the most magical outfit pictures for my blog EVER.

I seriously cannot stop smiling and laughing at how awesome Rabbit Island is. One day...

xo

Sherin said...

I love this! I really thought this story would end badly when I started reading, so really happy that it has a cute ending. I want to visit.

sherene said...

Yay i love rabbits! Wanna bring my son in there, he used to have 5 big rabbits but they died one by one, we dont know what happened.

Shannon said...

Is this real life?? Wow - I want to go there. Friendly bunnies just happen to be in my list of things that make me smile!

Swarnali said...

You really have a way of finding out the wierdest things...how did you even know this place exists? :-o
I love bunnies...and this place sounds like heaven ^_^

Couture Carrie said...

OMG I loooooooooove bunnies!
Must go there asap!

xoxox,
CC

Tights Lover said...

Awww. I definitely want to visit. They look so cute.

Although, I'm not going to lie. I think if too many of them approached me at once, I'd be terrified!

Letters from a Mermaid said...

i would LOVE to visit! this is so mysterious and awesome! I just found your blog and was so excited to have joined via GFC!

i hope you follow back so we can stay in touch xoxo

Josie said...

Whaaaaaat.
Enough said.
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

A Very Sweet Blog said...

WOW! I'm so glad there was a happy ending. I knew about neither Jennifer. You find THE BEST stories! I can't tell you how much I've learned from your blog. Glad it's a happy place, because it was a nightmare originally.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

This must be the most coolest thing ever! A hell really turned into heaven. I don't know if I'd visit. When I was at camp we had a Nature Hut with animals in it, and I hated the rabbits. :/ lol
www.kawaiicoffee.blogspot.com

Imogen said...

Wow that is such a cool idea. I can't believe a place like this exists. I love sweet little bunny rabbits (they are almost as adorable as kitty cats). The name Rabbit Island is really cool and the fact that there is a story behind it makes it even better.

Blond Duck said...

I want to LIVE on rabbit Island!

David Macaulay said...

wow - do the rabbits all have seven ears each?

Unknown said...

Beber heard about the island before but of course I would love to visit those friendly rabbit,they are adorable!
Love how you have turned a terrible story into something positive! That's the point!
Xxx

Cafe Fashionista said...

The beginning of this story totally freaked me out. But the ending? Hello...swoon! I want to visit the bunnies!

P.S. Your comment yesterday was, essentially, the best -night-before-Valentine's-Day present ever! :P

Angela said...

oh my goodness, how cute.

Chicago Chic said...

Amazing story!!! Happy Valentine's Day Jennifer!

x
Rachel

The Grande Dame said...

Holy. Crap. I have to visit this place. I thought this was going to be such a doom & gloom post at first! BUNNIES! Thank you for sharing this, I'm going to come back to this post when I need some cute.

Arielle-HumblePieVintage said...

I had seen the picture of the woman surrounded by rabbits and wondered where that was. It would be an interesting place to visit, for sure.

Oh to Be a Muse said...

It's nice that the island is now considered to be safe and fun. But I think I'd still be a bit scared to visit it in case there is radiation or something. But I would love to pet a rabbit.

Panty Buns said...

I LOVE bunny rabbits! What a fairytale come true! There are a couple of wild rabbits in the area near where I live but not tame like that. I would love to be able to feed them like that. They're so cute!

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Where have I been?? How did I get behind, goodness. And why they heck am I not on this island?!? What a marvellous place, I'd need a big hand bag though - for all the bunnies, I mean food to give to them ;) I love that such a place got turned into something more happy & fluffy!!! I must go here for sure!! My Valentine's was great doll, I hope yours was too :) xox