Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Friday, November 5, 2010

Guest Post: Meaningful Roses

The following guest post comes from Elie of Punctuation Mark. I definitely recommend checking out her charming blog! If you love delicious food, travel, and overall amazingness, you won't be disappointed!


Isn’t it beautiful to get roses from those you love? I just love it and even though these days we don’t know the real meaning of their colors years ago people sent messages to each other using the color of roses…

Red




Red roses are the quintessential symbol of love, passionate and romantic love! For the ancient Romans and Greeks it symbolized Venus, the goddess of love, and many other cultures used them to decorate wedding dresses and attires. In English gardens became the favored flower and was revered for its medicinal uses. And a single long stem rose mean “I love you”.


White




Associated to young and bridal love, the white rose represents humility, purity and innocence. Because of their widespread use in weddings they are the perfect flower to symbolize unity, virtue, and the pureness of the new bond of love. It’s been said that in Scotland when they were in bloom it was the time for new unions and marriages.


Pink



Said to be longest existing rose, pink roses have been featured in countless works of art beginning with the ancient civilizations. They symbolize tender love, grace and elegance, as well as sweetness and poetic romance. They are the most aromatic of all the varieties of roses and for that reason the different shades have also acquired their own meaning: dark mean gratitude and appreciation, and light mean admiration and sympathy.


Yellow



These are the roses that were discovered most recently growing wild in the Middle East. Their meaning has changed through the years but generally is associated with the sun, joy, wisdom and power. However, in Europe for a long time they were a symbol for jealousy and dying love. Today, unlike the romantic connotations of all the other colors the yellow rose is the only one that is the true symbol of friendship.

Have a great day and may you receive many colored roses!

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely post indeed!
I'll definitely go check her blog out!!!

xxx
Vikki


http://stylometre.blogspot.com

Tights Lover said...

Great post. I love the photos, and I didn't know some of the facts about the associated colors!

Rachel @ The Haute Notes said...

Great post! It's interesting to read what all the different colors mean. I knew they had different meanings, but weren't sure what they were exactly.

Amber Lucas A Mused Blog said...

awe! i like this! Great post.

Amber
ambersmouthwash

Venus Loves Virgo said...

Such a great guest post and will check out the blog. I have to admit I loathe roses....don't ask, childhood thing! LOL! Have a great weekend XOXO

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I've always loved yellow roses. I should send them to a friend! Fab guest post!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I've always loved yellow roses. I should send them to a friend! Fab guest post!

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

How interesting! I love her blog :)

Happy weekend!!

btd. said...

I love roses & yellow is my favorite color! Yellow Rose: joy, wisdom and power. I like that definition best. :)

Christopher said...

off to go check her blog out now, and here i thought roses meant I'm in trouble and need to do something nice to get out of it.

Josie said...

What a gorgeous post -- I love yellow roses!
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

shoeless simone said...

What a lovely post!

-Shoeless Simone

Imogen said...

What a sweet post, so creative and fun. Receiving roses is always amazing and I think that roses are my favourite flower. I found it really interesting reading about this.

Anonymous said...

Hi sweetie! Here I am again!!!

Just wanted to tell you that I have tagged you in my post "10 things I love"... I hope you can check it out!! <3

xxxx
Vikki

http://stylometre.blogspot.com

drollgirl said...

beautiful! everybody loves roses!

i haven't received any in a LONG time (sniff), but this morning i went a little cuckoo and bought myself two orchids. and another plant. lol!

hope you have a nice weekend!

Melanie's Randomness said...

Oh how lovely!! I love roses. I didn't know they all had meaning. My bf on the first date gave me a rose. I guess he loves me. =) hehe. =P

Anonymous said...

I never knew the meaning of roses until now. They're such a great beauty; roses.

xoxo, http://heelsandwedges.blogspot.com

JoaNNa said...

lovely post! i personally love white roses! and followed by red ;) have a great weekend!

glee said...

I learned to love red roses more since I met my fiance. He spoils me with their beauty. :)

Win our Perricone giveaway worth $150

Couture Carrie said...

Gorgeous post!
Love yellow roses!

xoxox,
CC

Abi said...

Such a lovely post! I was reading about the different meanings a while back and thought it very intriguing. I didn't know about the yellow rose though. Interesting fact!

Galit said...

Wow, such delightful photos! I enjoyed reading your roses facts which many I didn't know. Beautiful guest-post!!

Ashley/ MILK TEETHS said...

Yellow roses are so pretty, I think i'd say those are my fav color of roses :)

xx
MILK TEETHS

Angela said...

adore roses.
Ps. glad you like the ring. : )

Cafe Fashionista said...

Ooh, I have always wondered the meaning of each color rose - j'adore this post!! :)

Anonymous said...

ativan online ativan dosage for high - ativan dosage effects

Anonymous said...

tramadol buy buy tramadol with mastercard - naltrexone for tramadol addiction

Anonymous said...

order tramadol no prescription tramadol for dogs side effects panting - buy tramadol online saturday delivery

Anonymous said...

klonopin no prescription legal buy klonopin online - can you buy klonopin online

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol online cheap tramadol 50mg hcl tablets - buy tramadol online us

Anonymous said...

tramadol online pharmacy tramadol ultracet dosage - order tramadol online mastercard

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol medication buy tramadol for dogs online - buytramadol-online

Anonymous said...

buy klonopin online klonopin 93 333 - 2mg klonopin suboxone

Anonymous said...

ativan online ativan 2.5mg side effects - ativan 50mg

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol with mastercard tramadol dosage acetaminophen - tramadol hcl acetaminophen 650

Anonymous said...

order tramadol online overnight cheap tramadol without rx - tramadol 50 mg 4 times a day

Allen Jhon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Allen Jhon said...

Thank you for sharing your inspirational story with us. I must say it is mind-blowing to read such an amazing life story. Most of the people will be motivated and can step ahead towards their success without any obstacle. No doubt that flowers are an important part of your day-to-day life. They are the best decorative material as well as the best gift to show your feelings and emotions. If you are living in Winnipeg & looking for fresh flowers delivery then I recommend ordering flowers from In Full Bloom Florists. It is the best flower shop in Winnipeg. They ensure same-day fresh flowers delivery.