Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My Beauty Must-Haves for Cold Weather

One of the main reasons I used to hate winter was because I always looked like a troll. I'm not kidding. Once the cold weather hit, my dry skin and straw-like hair and bleeding lips would turn my radiant summer beauty into something out of a horror film. Now, in my mid-20s, I am free of that disturbing image.

After YEARS of searching, I have found three products that allow me to look somewhat decent in the fall and winter months. I decided to share them with you. I really hope you will try these products and that they offer you the same magic.

They are:


Healthy Sexy Hair
Soy Tri-Wheat Leave In Conditioner




Official description: "The Soy and Tri-Wheat combination combats against the harmful effects of the sun and environment while penetrating the hair to replace proteins. Creates soft and tangle-free hair. Energizing Kumquat fragrance."

This leave-in conditioner makes my hair smooth and extremely easy to brush. I always put it on after washing and conditioning my hair, especially in the winter months when my hair tends to be extremely dry. Sometimes I will occasionally spray it on my dry hair, if I'm not having a good hair day. Another benefit of this product is that if you tend to have very staticky hair during the winter, spraying this on your hair does help. (Side note: Spraying Static Guard on your brush and brushing it in your hair also helps for very bad static, but does not smell as nice).
You can find this product here.


Aveeno
Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer SPF 30




Official description: "Clinically proven Total Soy Complex and natural light diffusers work to naturally even out skin tone and immediately reflect light to bring out skin's natural radiance. Prevents premature aging."

My face gets really dry and scaly in the winter. It's embarrassing. This product is a lifesaver. Not only does it make my skin super soft and my skin tone very even, but it makes my skin glow. Like most girls, I think I have a lot of flaws, but I will admit one of my best features is that I have a very clear complexion. I rarely get a pimple and I have no scars on my face. So this moisturizer is literally the only thing I need to put on my face during the winter. I never wear foundation. This moisturizer makes my skin look THAT good. (Oh, and I was not surprised when I learned it won Glamour magazine's 2010 award for best moisturizer).
You can find this product here.


Elizabeth Arden
Eight Hour Cream Lip Protectant Stick




Official description: "Elizabeth Arden's renowned Eight Hour Cream in a super-protective, portable stick for lips. Enriched with emollients, protective sunscreen and vitamin E."

I spent years searching for the perfect chapstick. But nothing worked for me. During the winter months, my lips always cracked and bled. I felt like a freak. In 2007, Allure magazine opened my eyes to the Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Lip Cream. Oh. My. Freaking. God. It changed my life. It makes my lips super soft and sexy. My lips just drink up the moisture. I wear the original version on my lips at night and use the Plum shade on my lips during the day. It comes in several fabulous shades for every skin tone. It's bit pricey (around $17) but I tell you with my whole heart it is totally worth every penny. (Legend has it that when the lip cream was invented in 1930, it was such a spectacular success, Elizabeth Arden used it to soothe her famous thoroughbred horses' legs. Loyal clients even used it to heal skin for wounds on their children. In other words, it's awesome.)
You can find this product here.


Again, I really hope these products work for you. I have been using the leave-in conditioner for two years. I have been using the moisturizer for almost a year. I have been using the lip protectant stick for almost four years now. So, obviously, I'm not getting paid in any way to endorse them. Lol. (God, I wish).

Good luck!

Also, for those who celebrate, I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

I might definitely want to buy something for my lips this winter! They always get so dry!!!

xxx
Vikki

http://stylometre.blogspot.com

WANDER SHUGAH said...

i cant last a day without a hair leave on! :)


Taradiddles of a Style on a Budget

Rachel @ The Haute Notes said...

I haven't tried any of these, so I'll have to check them out! The leave-in conditioner sounds great!

Hope Adela Pasztor said...

great ideas! i sure need to stay moisturized during the cold weather! =)

http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

JUST ME said...

I NEED that chapstick. I've tried every lip thing on the planet and my lips still get dry and sometimes bleed (which makes me feel like a zombie).

CO is **so dry** in the winter it's like living in an oven on broil.

Tights Lover said...

I love the recommendations. I get really dry skin through the winter too, so the moisturizer is probably worth a try. It's always nice to have posts like this to read because there are so many bad products out there that cost so much!

...and now I have something to rub on my thoroughbreds' legs;-).

I hope you have an amazing Thanksgiving!

A BRIT GREEK said...

I can't begin to even tell you how amazing 8 hr is, depsite the smell, it is brilliant for the dewy skin look and everything else.

x.o.x.o

Tatty said...

Hey Jennifer!
I loved your blog too!!
I´ll folow!!!
Bjs, Tatty

http://suspirofashion.blogspot.com/

Couture Carrie said...

Will have to try these, darling!

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

xoxox,
CC

J said...

Oh thank you for this post, seems like I finally found the perfect chapstick.
Great blog, I'm a new follower :)

THE CRAFT said...

Haha thanks for the tips, I'm gonna try some of these products out!

The Craft
http://thecraftiswhatyoumakeit.blogspot.com/

modafobik said...

I love your blog and following you! Maybe you can follow me back ha? :)


http://www.modafobik.blogspot.com/

Vix said...

What a great post! I've picked up that Elizabth Arden Eight Hour Lip Balm countless times, I'll definately invest next time. xxx

Venus Loves Virgo said...

Wonderful items! I want to try that soy product and Aveeno has always been a good dependable brand. have yourself a great holiday! CXOXO

Anonymous said...

I like to use Beano in the winter months.

Lesley said...

I really want to try that chapstick! I'm always on the hunt for new chapstick!

Unknown said...

Yes my lips as we speak are wayyyy to dry! I might have to try that out:-)

Have a great Thanksgiving dear!

Dalila said...

thanks for comment on my blog!
u are so sweet!!
great post! :)
follow me if u want .. I'll be happy!
D.

http://takethecakee.blogspot.com/

indianmakeupways said...

will check out tat leave in conditioner.the packaging looks too cute

Anonymous said...

I'll definitely be trying the chapstick, and I actually use the same moisturizer, it's brilliant.

xxx

Jessi

Devea said...

MUST try that lip stuff! Also that leave in conditioner!

Sherin said...

Thanks for the recommendations.

I still need to find my perfect winter products. My hair hates this weather, so I think I'll be trying the Leave in Conditioner.

btd. said...

I'm glad you found items that help you always look fabulous! :)

michelle_ said...

i totally love elizabeth arden's 8hour thingi !
i swear by it i think its the best cream and lipbalm product ever !

glisters and blisters

Cafe Fashionista said...

The leave-in conditioner I MUST try - I have never used one before, and this sounds fantastic!

Happy, Happy Thanksgiving, Jennifer!! :)

noone said...

this stuff is great, I do hate how my hair gets all static when winter comes!! thanks for adding me on twitter btw, I also followed you on there, not that I don't stalk you enough on blogspot as is! ;)

Andreea said...

Great post, i loved to read this:) Very inspiring!

♥ kisses ♥

http://thrilloftheheel.blogspot.com/

Flashes of Style said...

Thanks for sharing the products, love! <3

Ashley/ MILK TEETHS said...

I agreed on Aveeno--it's the best moisturizer out there! I remember reading about the 8 hour cream in Allure so I really need to try it--sometimes Burts Bees just doesn't cut it!

xx
MILK TEETHS

yiqin; said...

Happy thanksgiving :)

Josie said...

That Elizabeth Arden lipstick is gorgeous -- love the color!
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

V said...

thankyou for your comment. im abit late in replying but yes it is sad that beautiful girls such as us have to put up with racism! Don't worry :)

I hate the fact that when i am starting summer, everyone else in the blog world is going on winter. hahaha oh man!

Sara Louise said...

I put Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream on my lips every morning after my shower, and during the winter, I don't even know how much body lotion I go through, but it's a lot!

Sanny said...

I need a good live in conditioner so badly! Where can I purchase that product, anyway? (: My skin and lips are ruined during cooler weather, they got so dry and I'm always so lazy to apply products frequently, my bad!

Sanny's Head to Heart

My Heart Blogged said...

I have the same problem with my face. I think I need to try that moisturizer.
My Heart Blogged

Robin said...

Great tips! I may have to try that hair conditioner... mine's a mess!

Sierra said...

All of these products look great, thanks for sharing girl!

Melanie's Randomness said...

I have such dry skin Jen too. Omg I'm going nuts lately with it. I use Aveeno too because it is just amazing!! =)

Younggbdj said...

will check out tat leave in conditioner.the packaging looks too cute

Sandraewsn said...

Wonderful items! I want to try that soy product and Aveeno has always been a good dependable brand. have yourself a great holiday! CXOXO