Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Friday, March 30, 2012

Iconic Wedding Gowns

Well, I am off to Illinois for a few days for my cousin's wedding.

I thought in celebration, I would leave you with five of the most iconic wedding gowns in recent history.

I hope you enjoy them!

Audrey Hepburn, 1952


Hollywood sweetheart Audrey Hepburn's gown for her first wedding epitomized the 1950s charm. It is one of the most replicated wedding gowns of all time.


Jackie Kennedy, 1953


America's future first lady was a newspaper reporter when she wed Jack Kennedy. Her gown featured 50 yards of ivory silk taffeta and took two months to make.


Grace Kelly, 1956


To become a royal, Grace Kelly’s wedding dress features 100 yards of silk net and 15 yards of silk taffeta. Helen Rose designed the wedding dress with round collar, fitted bodice, and full skirt, which was stitched using old-century lace and peau de soei fabric.


Elizabeth Taylor, 1958


By her fourth wedding, La Liz proved you don't need to wear white to be a bride. This olive green silk dress dons a hood and sheer sleeves. But, unfortunately, I don't think her fashion-forward attire was the topic of many gossip columns when the wedding occurred. Eddie Fisher, the groom, had just left his wife, America's Sweetheart, Debbie Reynolds for the sultry, violet-eyed Hollywood diva.


Mia Farrow, 1966


She was 21. He was 50. Never one to follow convention, Mia Farrow chose a two-piece ensemble for her first wedding to the famous crooner, Frank Sinatra.


Princess Diana, 1981


Diana's wedding dress was a delicious fairytale dream-come-true puff ball. The gown, which featured 10,000 pearls and a 25-foot train, delighted billions of people at a time when dreams really didn't seem to come true. Unfortunately, we know Diana's marriage was anything but a dream.


What do you think of these gowns? Which one was your favorite?

37 comments:

Tanvi said...

Grace Kelly is my fav.

∞ © tanvii.com ∞

Josie said...

These are all SO beautiful. I love Grace Kelly's!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Anonymous said...

You miss Kate's gown!! Grace Kelly's is my fave from here.

http://fashionarymonster.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I am one who loves going against the grain so I am going to have to say mz.taylors dress is the bees knees

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Beautiful. I hope you have a great time :) x

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

now you must add Kate Middleton's! :) Enjoy the wedding!

French Girl in Seattle said...

Fun post, Jenny! I love Jackie's dress the best. Some are too "meuringu-ish" (Diana!) and others a little too simple (Mia, or Audrey) -- Jackie strikes the perfect balance. Grace, of course, has impeccable taste, as always. Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

Sherin said...

I loved looking at these. Grace Kelly and Princess Diana's gowns have definitely been the best in history.

Enjoy your cousins wedding!!

Ramblings of a Redhead said...

Grace Kelly's is my favorite. Beautiful. But I also like Mia's look.

Tights Lover said...

I love Audrey's. Have a great time in Illinois!

Oh to Be a Muse said...

I'm also talking weddings on the blog today.

My fave here is probably Grace Kelly's dress, although she doesn't look too happy in the photo, lol.

Sarah said...

Love Grace's gown! And Mia's is stunning too :)
x

Anonymous said...

My favorite is Grace. If my boyfriend EVER proposes, I'm going to have a short dress. Have fun in the Midwest!

Mabel
Mabel Time

Barbara von Enger said...

Do enjoy the weekend away, my lovely. Wedding gowns allow the mind to wander and dream. I adore them all especially Mia's gown.

Krissii said...

great blog :)
it would be nice if you visit my blog too :)
ttcybeauty.blogspot.com

Meri said...

I'm almost never a fan of wedding dresses/ gowns. I think if we ever get married I'll wear something very non traditional, just a totally fabulous gown.

Audrey Allure said...

Love Grace Kelly's dress!

Angela said...

Audrey Hepburn looked sooooo elegant.

Olga said...

A wedding dress is a cult object. Even if the bride is not quite innocent, you wish that, during the ceremony, this dream about an ideal would come true.

Anonymous said...

Either Grace Kelly or Audrey Hepburn. Im designing my own wedding dress now and Ive had such inspiration from gowns like these. So classical and romantic.

pretty affairs said...

Grace Kelly's has got to be the favourite! :)

Amber Lucas A Mused Blog said...

I think Grace Kelly's was my favorite, but Kate Middeltons was amazing... hehe. I don't get all mushy about weddings, but I did love her dress!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I'll never get over Grace's gorgeous gown!

Julie Khuu | Haute Khuuture said...

Grace Kelly's is killer! Love that chic and sophisticated silhouette...and still so mod after all these years!

Thanks for visiting and leaving such awesome comments, hope to see you back soon!

xo-Julie
Peace. Love. LOL!

Haute Khuuture.com

Blond Duck said...

I like Audrey's and Jackies!

A Very Sweet Blog said...

Jackie Kennedy's was exquisite! That's me. HaHa Have a great time Jennifer! :D
http://www.averysweetblog.com/

miss b said...

Lovely post! So many beautiful gowns - difficult to choose a favourite but I do love Grace Kelly's.
http://missbbobochic.blogspot.com/

stylemailbox said...

wow such a great collection. i like grace kelly's the most. really beautiful

www.stylemailbox.blogspot.com

FASHION TALES said...

I love all of the intricate detailing of wedding dresses, Jackie Kennedy's is my favourite, so stunning.

Sierra said...

I don't think I'll ever forget Princess Di's dress and I love Princess Grace too - all are gorgeous gowns through the years.

kennady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
chethran said...

interesting blog. It would be great if you can provide more details about it. Thanks you


Wedding Dress London

a cotton fabric style bridal dress said...

For the girls, The most important topic is beautiful Alfred Angelo wedding dress. Whether graduation party or social situations, and Can't leave Allure wedding dress, to foil their beauty.Have all kinds of Casablanca wedding dress is girls'rights.What do you like style of Demetrios wedding dress?

Unknown said...

You are right that online market has huge selection of Vera Wang Wedding Gowns. Even you can also get matching jewelry with your wedding dress on discounts.

Avinash Dwivedi said...

You really did a beautiful work on this blog to make attractive.

Thanks for sharing your truly information through this blog.


Prom Gowns Albany

Grandeur Wedding Studio said...

They're iconic wedding gowns indeed!

Buy Indian Wedding dresses said...

I love it,Excellent article.I am decide to put this into use one of these days.Thank you for sharing this.To Your Success!