Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Monday, March 2, 2009

Monday Morning Grrrrr's

To say I've had a bad morning is a huge understatement.

In fact, it's been so bad, I don't even know where to begin.

I knew it was going to be bad morning when I woke up to see Rian scowling at me. He had school bus training at 7 a.m. today (something a recent college graduate should NOT have to do). But, alas, the job market is so terrible, he's going to take what he can get until a real job comes along.

I had to attend an event downtown from 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. for work.

Right after I woke up, my mom called, crying. Apparently her car wouldn't start and she didn't have any vacay/sick days left in the year. (So, if she doesn't show up to work, she gets fired.) My heart softened, and I told her that I would take her. After all, I really didn't have to be at the event until 8 a.m., if need be. And I know she would do the same thing for me.

My mom works at the government's national archives. For some reason, this place is located in a cave outside of town. It took 30 minutes to get there. I was pissed. And then after I dropped her off, I ended up getting completely lost for another 30 minutes. By the time I got to the highway, to head downtown, the traffic was backed up completely. That stupid electronic road sign said downtown was an hour away (normally a 15 minute drive). So, I decided to head there through town. I thought it would be faster. I was wrong. I hit every single stop light.

I tried calling the event organizer, to say I was going to be late, but her voicemail was full. I couldn't even leave a message.

I finally got downtown at 8:45 a.m., only to find out there was no parking anywhere near the event. The closest garage wanted 15 dollars. Um, no fucking way. So I found a street meter spot five blocks away. I put in enough for 30 minutes and headed on my way.

In five inch heels, I crept up five blocks on sidewalks that were paved with ice. I ignored the blatant sexual harassment from bums and semi-homeless people waiting at various bus stops. When I got to the building, I found out the event had been moved to three blocks away, up on a hill. I started up the hill, in my heels, only to keep sliding down. There was no way I was going to make it in heels. There was no way I was going to make it before everyone left the event. It was already over.

I headed back to my car, inch by inch, like a brand new ice skater. And when I finally got back to my car, I just sat there and cried. I called my editor and told him I didn't have the story. He was sympathetic, but that didn't help. I started my car, only to find that I was stuck in a huge patch of ice. The car wouldn't move.

It took 20 minutes and two construction workers to get me out of it. And they laughed at me.

Oh, and on the way home, I received a call from the library saying that they have sent a debt collector after me because I never returned some stupid movie two months ago. I had totally forgotten about it.

Oh, oh, oh. And I found out that I'm going to get charged a $50 fine for paying my rent late on Thursday (two days late). My apartment manager wouldn't make any exceptions.

So, yeah. It's been a shitty day so far. I'm at home right now, staying here until my next interview at 12:45 p.m. I'm too scared to leave because who knows what's going to happen to me next.

For now I'm just going to sit on the bed and meditate. Maybe if I'm lucky all this negative energy will go away. I will return the movie. I will not stress about rent. Or money. Or my job. Or Rian's job.


On a more positive note, here's a cute pic of me and Rian. :)


Morena said...

Oh gosh.
Aw. :(
Just reading that made me exhausted. Today seems like it came straight out of a reality show for you.


Kair Bear said...

Wow...that is so terrible. I can't believe so many bad things happenend. : ( I hope the meditating worked. I am in shock, I couldn't have handled all of that. I would have just sat in my car and cried. I am glad that you managed to move your car, although it would have thawed out by tomorrow. ; ) Hang in there JB.

JenBen said...

Wow, that is a bad day! So sorry, Jenny-Benny! At least you didn't get arrested though... ;-)