Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Friday, May 27, 2011

Come on, get happy!

My mom is a child of the 70s.

As a teenager, she grew up with the long blonde hair (middle part), bell bottoms, and frilly blouses.

As a result, from the moment I had hair, she combed it into a middle part. Every single day.

By the time I was old enough to do my own hair, I didn't know any better and continued on this middle part journey.

Through my 20s, I have tried desperately to get rid of my middle part. I hate it. I don't want it anymore! But nothing works! It falls back into 1970s hair before I know it.

Well, I've decided that if I can't change it, I might as well embrace it.

After all, aren't the 1970s in style this summer? So, maybe that makes ME in style!

I've decided to dedicate this post to a girl who epitomized the 1970s and made her middle part the envy of every school girl across the US.

I'm talking about Susan Dey.



She played teen dream Laurie on The Partridge Family, a happy-go-lucky television show about a musical family. (Think Glee meets The Brady Bunch).



Guys wanted to date her and girls wanted to be her.



The Partridge Family princess was a huge fashion icon during the 1970s, revealing a softer, more mainstream version of boho chic that any teenage girl could wear to school.



Susan, an Illinois native, started out her career as a model. Her mother read an article about fashion modeling in Seventeen Magazine and submitted photos of Susan and her sister to a top modeling agency in New York City. They were immediately signed in 1968.



It wasn't long before Susan became the face of Seventeen Magazine herself.



As a model, Susan continued high school, which I found admirable. Drama was her favorite subject and she toyed with being an actress. She was set to play a duck in her school's Christmas play, when she was beckoned to take the role of Laurie in the new television show, the Partridge Family in 1970.



Thrilled, she packed her bags and moved to Hollywood.



Even with little acting experience, Susan turned the role of Laurie Partridge into a television icon. The 18-year-old was very similar to her television character: sweet, quirky, and with an adorable fashion sense.



When the show became a worldwide sensation, Susan became a huge star.



And her long straight hair with a middle part became one of the most sought after hair styles in the early 1970s.



So, in other words.

Middle parts ROCK.


Happy Weekend!



PS. Don't forget to enter my Shabby Apple dress giveaway!

44 comments:

David Macaulay said...

hey the parting looks great and the 70s are coming back, apparently - so dust off the John Travlota white Saturday Night Fever suit...have a great w/e etc.

Katie said...

She sounds awesome. I love a middle part, although my curly hair does not.

Sarah said...

She is beautiful!
x

Shannon said...

She does rock. And you do too. What I would do for an awesome middle part with straight sleek locks.

Unknown said...

my hair is stubborn like that too, although it doesn't part in the middle, it slightly goes to the left! i actually love middle part.

http://cactusandcucumber.blogspot.com/

Despina said...

I love the boho touch of the 70's.long hair,loose jeans,colours everywhere,round lense sunglasses like John Lenon!lovely times!!!

Dirty Girl Gardening said...

great pics! the middle part rocks when there isn't tons of grey showing!

Andrés Corella said...

She was gorgeous! And I love her hair it looks amazing...and yours too!

xx
Andy
The Black Label

Meri said...

This is funny- I've always liked the middle part look, but my hair tends to part itself slightly to the side, no matter how I try to change it!

Bel said...

I didn't know about her but she is so gorgeous!!! Yay for middle parts!

<3 Belly B

Michelle's Style File said...

I agree- middle parts rock!
x
Michelle
www.michellesstylefile.blogspot.com

Vix said...

I've always loved the middle parting but mine just won't stay in one.
I'd forgotten The Partridge Family, Susan was a child of her time, the perfect beauty for the 1970's. xxx

Anonymous said...

Glee meet the Brady bunch - best description of the The Partridge Family.

Mum - child of 70s? Hot young mum. Sweet!

Well, you should rock the middle part with a smile. It suits you.

Cello xox

cello-in.blogspot.com

a woman's right to shoes said...

She sounds awesome, I have never really heard of her. My mum also used to make me have a middle part, but I don't anymore. My hair just doesn't want it ;)

Rachel - Notes from my closet said...

I am training my hair into a middle part at the moment :) you have gorgeous hair! I wish mine was as long as yours :)

Love, Vanilla

http://notesfrommycloset.blogspot.com/

Sherin said...

I love middle partings! I always try to get one, but it shifts over onto a side parting.
Susan Dey has that perfect 70's style. I really want to embrace the 70's trend more now!

Anonymous said...

Awesome photos!:)

Young at Heart said...

oh my .....I loved Susan Dey, I wanted to be Susan Dey...I also had a brief 'love affair' with David Cassidy at the same time....what a star!!

mirjam schuurkamp said...

she is so pretty!
amazing photos

NEW outfit post;
www.mirfashion.blogspot.com

Once Upon A Time... said...

she's sooo beautiful! i love the middle part especially on very straight hair!

jos xx

Cafe Fashionista said...

Ohmigosh I love her! And I will forever love her. She had great style, great hair, and was positively gorgeous. I ADORE YOU for featuring her here, Jennifer! :)

Imogen said...

I love middle parts the most actually. I think thats because I like symmetrical hair to the extreme. Also I am absolutely obsessed with the Brady Bunch.

Couture Carrie said...

Fabulous post, darling!
These pics are amazing!
And yay for the middle part!

xoxox,,
CC

Unknown said...

she's beautiful! no matter where your hair parts, youre still beautiful!

JUST ME said...

Love her eyes.

I *adore* the 70's. So glad they're back. Slap on a headband and part that hair in the middle, girl!

StyleIDnet said...

I LOVE the middle part hair.... I was one of those 'stuck' in that trend, one day I just part it to the side and hated it for the 1st week, now I kind of like it better.... next week going back to middle part.
What I like the most about Susan Dey is her softness, even though her features aren't that soft, she still looks very 'delicate'.

http://styleidnet.blogspot.com/
http://www.filomenascloset.com/

Selvaggia Capizzi said...

I remember about her! And I liked her hair! Lovely post!
xx
http://dontcallmefashionblogger.blogspot.com

Oh to Be a Muse said...

susan day sure did rock that center part, but so do you!

daisychain said...

she is amazing

(so are you)

x

Courtney Erin said...

I've always been a fan of the 70s middle part! And I had totally forgotten how cute Susan Dey was - great post!

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

Lisa said...

i so love the story about your mom parting your hair in the middle and combing it because she's a flower child! LOVEEEEE!!!!

Twenty.Something said...

I adore her! She's beautiful! My mom looked a lot like her growing up.

And embrace that middle part! I used to have one and had to cut my hair short and part in on the side to get rid of it... and it's been gone for years!

But, your hair is lovely and you're a beauty!

x
http://artfashiontwentysomething.blogspot.com

Josie said...

Middle parts seriously don't work for me, but I've always admired yours -- and the seventies are so back!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

the nyanzi report said...

beautiful!

Chrissy said...

LOVE this post. I love 70s hair and the middle part. Its a classic look.

F. said...

She looks so different! Very beautiful ;)

xoxo F.

Chicago Chic said...

I actually always wanted to be able to part my hair in the middle, but I have this awful cow-lick in my bangs that has never allowed it! Your hair looks absolutely gorgeous parted in the middle -- and how awesome that you find yourself a super-star in the middle of 70's mania. I love it!

Such a great post too...I loved reading more about her!
xo
Rachel

Anonymous said...

Awww I like this post :D
Very inspirational!
and that hair style is soo in :)

http://anhourafteryesterday.blogspot.com

Holly said...

Great post, and she is so pretty! Love your blog, 20sb is pretty great :) can't wait to read more!

Unknown said...

OMG...she's gorgeous!! and yes most beautiful middle part with straigh locks..(sigh)

Kisses,
Marina
http://fashionmakeuplifestyle.blogspot.com/

MariahSmile said...

I agree, middle parts rock! I love mine (even though I try other ways as well!) and I know my mom always had her hair parted in the middle when she was younger!

Sierra said...

Yes middle parts do rock! I mainly do one when I am sporting pig tails. :)

Anonymous said...

TOTALLY AGREE. i've been rockin the middle part since i was 6 and still going strong

http://thecoquetiquette.blogspot.com/

xo,
amy leah
the coquetiquette

Emily @ OT's said...

Nice article... I have a middle part and straight boring hair I hate but try to think of the hippy, flower child look which I have always had a thing for. Guess I should embrace it!