Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

St. Trinian's



Sometimes a girl just needs a piece of candy.

St. Trinian's is the movie equivalent of a Starburst.

It's sweet, tangy, flavorful, and has absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever.

But is it really so bad to enjoy a little piece of deliciousness once in a while?

Of course not!



I don't know why it took me so long to jump on the St. Trinian's bandwagon. Maybe because this 2007 gem was not released in the United States (or, at least not in my neck of the woods). I accidentally found out about it when Netflix suggested I add it to my queue.



Because Netflix knows me better than I know myself, I took the site's advice. I was not disappointed.

The film is practically a balanced combination of two movies I secretly adore: Harry Potter and Mean Girls.



St. Trinian's takes place at a posh boarding school for young ladies. The ungovernable teenage students have taken over the school, turning it into a wild, anarchic paradise for misfits.

Things take a turn for the worse, however, when the girls realize they need to save their school from bankruptcy. Otherwise, it will be shut down.



This British film has an all-star cast. Each actor brilliantly plays their role.

Some of my favorites included the adorable Russell Brand.



The hilarious Rupert Everett.



And the dashing Colin Firth.



The film also re-introduced me to a very grown up Talulah Riley. She plays the new girl at school, from which the point of view throughout the film is set.



Isn't she gorgeous?!



I barely remembered her from the 2005 film adaptation of Pride & Prejudice. I had no idea she had become such a big star in the past six years!









She is utter loveliness in this film and absolutely adorable!

If you love movies like Clueless and Home Alone, you will adore St. Trinian's.

(There is even a 2009 sequel, which looks equally fun, but I have not seen it yet.)

St. Trinian's is the perfect film for a girls night in!

39 comments:

Shannon said...

This looks right up my alley. I'm in. Netflix - queue me up!

Meri said...

I love movies like this- no guilt whatsoever, just love em! Thanks for the recommendation!

Twenty.Something said...

Perfect for me! I will now add it to my Netflix... looks like exactly what I need right now!

xo
http://artfashiontwentysomething.blogspot.com

Couture Carrie said...

Sounds like a fun one, darling!
And I love your Starburst analogy!

xoxox,
CC

Josie said...

PERFECTION. I'm off to add it to my queue!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Sherin said...

St Trinians is my guilty pleasure. I secretly love it so much. I can't remember how many times I've seen it! It introduced me to Gemma Arteton, who I love. The sequel is still funny, but definitely doesn't compare.
Also, Talulah Riley was also in The Boat That Rocked. That movie is awesome. I recommend it, if you haven't seen it.

Sarah said...

I love this film! The sequel is quite good too! :)
x

Bonnie said...

I want to see this like whoa right now. It looks amazing. And I love "Mean Girls." And "Clueless."
Sorry, Mr. A. I have another movie night coming up!

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Amber Lucas A Mused Blog said...

Ooh this looks awesome hehe. I've been on Netflix all day (My So Called Life..). I so need this!

I wish we lived in the same town too! I bet we would be unstoppable and absolutely hilarious together. People would say "Uh oh, here come Amber and Jennifer again - run! Take cover!" And then we would get mobbed by a crowd because of your fabulous-ness.

Hope Chella said...

this sounds up my alley!!!! miss blogging and you :)

Courtney Erin said...

This sounds like fun - I should check it out!

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Colin Firth! :)

Jenn @ Peas and Crayons said...

you had me at harry potter meets mean girls =) fan-tastic!

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

-E- said...

surely talulah riley has had work done. she looks like a completely different person.

stylenuggets said...

This movie was such a blast. Enjoyed every minute of it as one who spent time at a boarding school.

Lisa said...

Love russel brand he's so hilarious! And colin firth is sooo dreamy hahah

Mimi said...

aaaah, colin firth! :) i think this is a movie i'm gonna want to watch. :D

<3, Mimi
http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

My Fashion Bug said...

Haven't watch it, but maybe now I will!
xx
myfashionbug.blogspot.com

Damsels said...

colin firth is in it ? im watching it !

Bel said...

I'm so excited to see this now! I'm always looking out for feel-good, fun movies like this :) Thanks for sharing!

Belly B
http://www.bforbel.com

Marcia B. said...

Oh awesome, will have to check out this movie, sounds sweeeet!

Anonymous said...

Interesting film!!

Vix said...

I haven't seen these remakes but I do love the old black and white version from the 1950's, dated but fun. xxx

Chyrel Gomez said...

i wanna watch this movie! :)

i got curious.

The Blonde Duck said...

Who doesn't like Clueless? I'm on the hunt for this!

Beautycountry said...

OMG...I need to check this out.

All those great men! ;) ...and if it has a hint of Harry Potter style...

Thanks for the tip...I'm going to be a "business widow" next week, so there I have my opportunity ;)

a woman's right to shoes said...

I have never seen this film, I thought it was kind of a weird film but your review made me want to see it. Looks like I have something to do this summer ;)

Cafe Fashionista said...

Wow! Talulah Riley is gorgeous! I think I need to see this film immediately! :)

love jenny xoxo said...

I haven't heard of this movie but now I wanna see it! bad!

Thanks!

XOXO

Oh to Be a Muse said...

wow, she looks so different as a blonde. that first photo instantly made me think "The Craft" but it sounds like this movie was more like a bad version of Mean Girls. still, i would probably watch this if it came on tv.

Tights Lover said...

I positively must see this movie. And no, not just because I can see that girls stockings in the photo at the top.

...although, that didn't hurt ;).

Unknown said...

YAY...this is pefect for me!! and agreed with everyone else right up my alley!!

To answer your question about My Fav Disney Movie I have two "The Little Mermaid" & "Beauty and the Beast" absolutely LOVE THEM!! and girl you look like "Jasmine"

XoXo
http://fashionmakeuplifestyle.blogspot.com/

Mikaela said...

I loved that movie too!! It's so... girlie :D

xx
absofuckinglutely

Anonymous said...

That's a great endorsement. And yes, that chick is ridiculously good looking.

MY REPUBLIC OF FASHION said...

To say I love this film is an understatement!! Just so much fun! Glad you posted this. :)SarahD

Fashion Cappuccino said...

I love the way you describe this film to a candy! I've heard about this movie but haven't watched it yet! Colin Firth is in it too?! Now that does it! xoxoxoo

Movies on my Mind said...

Doesn’t it scare you that you wield so much power Ms. Fabulous? You have turned a mediocre British film that was slated for being crap in to an American megahit that thousands of women are now queuing to get hold of. I salute you.

Elle - The Violet Reaction said...

That's the girl from Pride and Prejudice?!?! No way! She looks so gorgeous now. Of course, I think most people would probably look pretty dumpy in the dress and makeup (or lack thereof) that she had to wear in the movie. She is seriously stunning now!

Anyways, thanks for commenting on my blog and for giving such a nice compliment! :) I am following you now.

PS. If you liked those 2 Adele songs make sure you check out Someone Like You, as well. It's the last song on the CD but it is incredible!

lifeontherocks said...

hey thanks for the review.......if colin firth is in it, then am gonna check it out for sure!!!! great post!