Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Back from Hollywood



I just got back from LA. My parents had to go there for a few days because my dad (a medical physicist) had a conference to attend. I tagged along because I refused to be left behind while they splashed around on the beach.

I decided to write about my trip journal-style. Enjoy!

Friday

Right before my trip, I decided to screw myself over. Well, I didn't know I was going to do that at the time. You see, after my credit card company charged me a $200 late fee (even though I mailed my check two weeks in advance) I decided to cancel my card and open a new credit card with my bank, an hour before my parents and I had to be at the airport. As soon as I cancelled my card and opened a new one, my banker cheerfully said, "Well, your new card with us won't start until one week from now and it looks like you have no money right now in your checking account. I hope your parents can spot you some money for the next week!"
Oh. Fuck.
So basically, I entered right into this trip with absolutely no money to my name. It was horrifying. I can't believe I just cancelled my card. I thought the new one would start right away!
I cried the entire way to the airport.
As soon as we got to the airport, my mom and I spotted this gorgeous guy waiting for the same plane. He kept staring at me. I was very flattered. He sat next to me on the plane and told me he loved my dress and that I had beautiful hair. And then he reached into his man purse and took out a Glamour magazine. Gay. So gay. I was crushed. (I had thought I had sex appeal again.)
As soon as we got to our hotel in LA, my mom and I drank a round of mai tais. I don't remember the rest of that night.

Saturday


My parents and I headed over to Hollywood where we visited the Hollywood history museum (movie star artifacts and whatnot) and did a little shopping. I ransacked H&M and after throwing a teenage-style hissy fit persuaded my dad to buy me a couple of shirts. I was NOT going to leave that store empty-handed.
I cheered up after I spotted Michael Jackson's Hollywood star. After pushing a few kids out of the way, I managed to get a photo with it.



We then headed over to the Santa Monica Pier. The only reason we went there was because it is featured in the opening credits of our favorite show "Three's Company." (I am not kidding. But wish I were). Unfortunately, the pier looks a tad different than it used to in 1978. But we managed to find the same exact carousel, which made the trip worth it.

I think my dad did a swell Don Knotts impersonation.





Sunday

This was the best day because I got to meet up with my awesome blogger friend Morena in a neighboring town. You might know her from her blog, Too Haute to Handle. It was the first time I had ever met an online friend before. Morena is just as beautiful and sweet in person as she is on her blog. We had lunch at a little French cafe with her equally sweet and fabulous friend Avalon. It was a lovely time and definitely the highlight of my trip!



Afterward, my dad dropped my mom and I off at a shopping center while he went to his boring physics workshops. My mom graciously bought me a dress and two shirts during this little boutique extravaganza. Although, it did break my heart to touch and admire all the other gorgeous dresses I wanted to buy. Oh, it was torture.

I drowned my sorrows in white wine at the hotel bar that night.

Monday


Again, my dad was stuck in physicists hell, so my mom and I headed over to a movie theater by our hotel and saw "The Ugly Truth." It was hilarious.

The evening was spent going to all the 98 cent stores in town, because apparently my mom thinks these stores are more of a bargain than our dollar stores back home. I did find this 98 cent version of Barbie. I think they could have chosen a better outfit for 98 cent Ken though.



We also went to Huntington Beach that night, but it was freezing, so we left.

As soon as we got back, my mom and I hit up the hotel bar again. This time we got shnockered on Long Island Iced Teas.

Tuesday

Pretty much just the plane ride home. But my dad had a bunch of drink coupons he found that were going to expire soon. So my mom and I got drunk on gin and tonics during the flight. I ended up getting into a fight with the ten-year-old girls sitting behind me on who was the cutest Jonas brother. I kept insisting it was Justin but they kept insisting none of those boys were named Justin. After we got off the flight my dad informed me that there indeed was no Justin in the Jonas Brothers and I had been thinking of 'N Sync...

Anyway, that was my trip.

I'm exhausted.

25 comments:

Imogen said...

I would love to go there, it looks amazing. I hope you enjoyed it and didn't worry to much about the credit card, the guy or anything else. So cool that you got a picture with Michael Jackson's star, it must have been packed. I also think its amazing that you met Morena. I feel so far away from the rest of the blogging world.It was really interesting to read about the trip.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a ball apart from your credit card incident of course! Pls post all your new la buys really want to see all your new clothes!X

Ela said...

LOL you are TOO funny! Sigh, where to begin???
1. Gay or not, your dress and hair were too stunning to not make it known to you.
2. I would've love to have witnessed the teenage hissy fit.
3. Fab impersonation - plus your dad does not have the creepy look.
4. How fun that you got to meet! S claims he'll throw me a blog party one day.
5. Ken's outfit should never be more scandalous than Barbie's.
6. I hope you know that 10yr old girl is now going to need therapy. LOL, I love that your dad knew there was no Justin. That's awesome.
xx
6.

Sophia said...

Oh my gosh, that's terrible about your credit card! Still, that sounds like an amazing trip, I would love to go to LA.

And thanks, I'm in the middle of starting an Etsy :)

Unknown said...

Ha ha ha! Your mum sounds like mine, mine always uses the excuse when we fly that she needs the quienne from the drink to ward off mosquitos!

It looks like you had an amazing time though, and to welcome you back home, I've got two awards for you xoxo

MJ said...

Oh no! Poor you and your bank! It's so cool that you met Morena, too, she seems so nice...

http://dreamingspiresandoldcartyres.blogspot.com

Taylor S. said...

It's good to hear you had a fun time here in sunny california. I was with morena and she asked me if i wanted to go to lunch and i tried so hard to make it beacause i really love your blog, but something came up. I really wish i could of went.
xoxo taylor

etoilee8 said...

Anytime any of my family members see me chatting up a cute guy in the airport, they make it their personal business to embarrass me. It has happened numerous times. And I agree with Ela. Even if he was gay, that doesn't mean you didn't look awesome!

Frock Around the Clock said...

G&T's are the best! What a shame that your card didn't work immediately. I get so mad with any form of banking - It's so much easier to work in cash. Looks like you had a good trip though! :) x

FASHION CHALET said...

Aww, fun! I wanna be in Hollywood, LA :) right now.

Thanks for the LOVELY comments, your hair is such a pretty color.



x

Damsels said...

oh man that sucks . about the cards, god they always find ways to piss us off those banks .
glad you had a great time anyway .
ahhh i too have had this gay sort of encounter

Couture Carrie said...

Welcome back, darling!

Sorry about the credit card jerks!

Fun pics! Looks and sounds like a wonderful trip!

xoxox,
CC

Unknown said...

Lucky you i cant wait to go to LA again! Im over in september xoxox

Ton Amour said...

I love your parents.
So lively.

I had quite a collection of dollar store "barbies", but my brothers always tore off their heads and made them do karate...so sad.

Iva Messy said...

welcome back!! the pictures are great!

Angela said...

sounded like a super fun vacation. : )

DS said...

Awww, your trip sounds so fun! Hahaha, I love the Three's Company impression, that is fantastic! That show always cracks me up.

Julie @ ROJ Running said...

LMAO that you got into a fight with 10 year olds. BTW I so didn't picture your dad looking that way. he has LONG arms and I for some reason pictures him heavy set and with a a HUGE mustache. I don't know why. At least you got to have some shopping fun!

Mademoiselle Ruta said...

it seems like you had a lovely trip although the money situation must have really sucked.

aww i know Morena, she's so lovely.

The Queen of Hearts said...

200 HUNDRED DOLLAR LATE FEE??? What ridiculous credit card company did you have? Let me guess: BANK OF AMERICA??

Mom Fashion World said...

i love your purple dress!
i hope to take mr. freddy to LA someday
to see disneyland.
i can't wait to see what you got from LA.

p.s. thank you for the comments. i appreciate it alot. see you around!

http://momfashionworld.blogspot.com/

keira antoia rose said...

I've never been, but have always wanted to! You're so lucky that you were able to go. It sounds like a fun trip all together though. I laughed about the Jonas Brother's story.

xoxo Isabella Clarisse xoxo
www.tasteoffashionkar.blogspot.com

Style & Beyond said...

FUN! aaah i miss cali!!
LOL you got a cool dad!

iyam
www.styleandbeyond.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I wish i could travel to LA right this second. Your words make me green with envy! Love the snapshots too!

LAYNE said...

What a fun lil trip. sorry about ur card.
So I'm sitting here in my chicago dorm trying not to giggle too loud while my roommate sleeps.

ur writing style= awesome

xx,

fashionlayne