Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Janelle Monáe

I went to the Katy Perry concert tonight! It was one of the best concerts I have ever been to in my life. (And I've covered all the pop princesses: Britney, Gaga, Christina, Carrie, Beyonce, etc.).

That being said, I couldn't get my mind off Katy's opening act: Janelle Monáe.



I mean, Katy is fucking fabulous. We all know that. But the mind-blowing pipes of Janelle is a very hard talent to follow.



Janelle, a Grammy-nominated songwriter, has been called “a different kind of diva” by Vogue Magazine and “a true visionary… one of the most important signings of my career” by Sean “Diddy” Combs.



You only have to listen to one of her songs to realize this 25-year-old funktress is in a league of her own.



Her music is a melting pot of R&B, funk, rock, jazz, and futuristic beats. Her voice is angelic and unapologetic.



Her red carpet style is fierce.



This talented beauty isn't going to be a star. She already is a star. The world just doesn't know it yet.



Janelle gave a spectacular performance tonight before Katy hit the stage. She handed her heart to the audience and we cherished it. She howled and screamed in the middle of her songs and we loved her all the more for it. She even rolled around on stage and ran through the arena during one of her songs because fuck it, she could, and she didn't give a shit what we thought. That, my friends, is how to be bad ass.



So, I'm kind of obsessed with the gorgeous Janelle right now. I've already downloaded most of her songs. I cannot wait to hear what she has to offer us in the future. I don't think it will be long before she is a household name and a world-wide sensation.

Here is an official music video featuring one of her most famous songs, Cold War.

I hope you enjoy it.



What are your thoughts on Janelle?

23 comments:

socialitedreams said...

I adore janelle! she's so funky, quirky, GORGEOUS, and talented....wonderful star that needs to be discovered on a mass scale


Vonnie of Socialitedreams.com

Sarah said...

Love her
x

Leia said...

I hadn't heard of her before, but I've just listened to Cold War and I am now officially obsessed! You always guide us to the most amazing discoveries!

Leia

Jelena Zivanovic said...

I heard very little things about Janelle, and I'm so glad she was your inspiration for this post!! Fascinating and extremely stylish girl!:)
xoxo
Jelena
http://glamfabchameleon.blogspot.com/

Tanvi said...

I will have to check out this babe now! Without you I wouldn't know half the things going on in the world Jen! :)

♡ from © tanvii.com

amy b.s. said...

i have heard nothing but amazing things about the concert. awesome that you got to go.

Stephanie said...

I've never heard of her before. She's got a beautiful voice! And definitely lots of charisma...

Anonymous said...

janelle is tooo cute!

Vix said...

I saw her at Glastonbury and The Big Chill. Isn't she just amazing? She reminds me of Poly Styrene, a much loved punk chick. x

joei ♥ said...

So lucky to watch Katy Perry live! :)

Definitely, Maybe

Oh to Be a Muse said...

my hubby and i love janelle! her style is amazing and i love her hair. glad you wrote about her!

Amber Lucas A Mused Blog said...

I love Janelle so much. I loved her other song...don't know what it's called but she was dancing around looking all awesome in her black suit.

You know, she kinds reminds me of a female version of Ceelo Green.

Thanks for introducing my to a new song of hers!

Amber

Couture Carrie said...

Awesome post!
Love Janelle's voice and her style!

xoxox,
CC

mAdi*cakes said...

I think her style is amazing and I give props to her for standing for her own style. She is adorable!!! :]

Tights Lover said...

I'm falling further and further out of the loop. I had never heard of her. I think I'm getting old!

I'll have to check her out, though!

ps. So glad to see you share in my Kardashian loathing...hahaha!

Mimi said...

she opened for adele too (a little over 2 years ago) at the hollywood bowl. she is very talented! she got the crowd dancing. :D

<3, Mimi
http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

FashionJazz said...

Have not heard of her before now, love ur blog babe, u always post amazing stories xx

Courtney Erin said...

She's amazing!

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.com

SMD said...

Oh Janelle is AMAZING! I mean her voice is something else. Her songs aren't exactly my style, but I still love her voice and her awesome sense of style. http://thearcenciel.blogspot.com/

Imogen said...

Sounds great and I think its fantastic to see a promising support act. I am usually extremely dissatisfied with support acts and this year when I went to Justin Bieber I deliberately got there late so I could miss it. I relation to your last post, I thought it was fascinating, I never knew that information before. The book would definitely be interesting. I have similar views to you. She is entitled to her views and that is fine but if she actively participated then that would seriously change my opinion.

Josie said...

Her voice is seriously out-of-control. I'm so jealous of her talent and of course beauty as well!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Meri said...

She has crazy cool style too! I'll have to check her out :)

love jenny xoxo said...

I'm going to the Katy Perry concert in a few days and I'm so excited! I had never heard of Janelle, but maybe I'll have to start listening now :)

XOXO